Medication Administration Course for Elderly and Vulnerable – a CQC Mandatory course
Face to Face Medication Training
Duration: Courses range from 3 to 6 hours.
Study Room Training offers a comprehensive course in the administration of medication, specifically tailored for care home clients and home care clients. This course is designed to equip learners with the necessary skills and knowledge to safely and effectively handle medication in these settings. Whether you work in a care home or provide home care services, our course will support you in practicing the administration of medication to ensure the well-being of your clients.
The course covers a wide range of topics relevant to the administration of medication in care home and home care settings. Some of the key areas covered include:
- Ordering, receiving, storing, and proper disposal of medicines
- Responsibilities of care practitioners in medication management
- Capacity and consent considerations in administering medication
- Training and competency requirements for safe administration
- Covert medication practices and their implications
- Proper handling of medication removed from original packaging
- Monitored dosage system usage for accurate administration
- Understanding and managing anticoagulant medication
- Administering medication as required (PRN)
- Handling controlled drugs with strict protocols
- Medications outside the responsibility of care practitioners
- Adapting to changes in medication and dosage
- Discharge procedures and medication management during transitions
- Verbal instructions for modifying medication or dosages
- Proper disposal of medicines to ensure safety
- Effective record keeping for medication administration
- Managing mistakes and errors in medication handling
- Understanding the frequency of medication and various administration routes
- Recognizing signs of adverse reactions to medication
- Dealing with medication refusal and ensuring client safety
- Adhering to the “6 Rights” of medication administration
Upon completing the course, learners will be able to:
- Understand the importance of ordering, receiving, storing, and disposing of medication in care home and home care environments
- Demonstrate proper training, competency, and effective communication when administering medication to clients
- Identify and manage associated side effects of the administered medication
Courses range from 3 to 6 hours in length.
Our courses are conducted face to face, allowing for personalized instruction. You have the option to visit our premises or request us to deliver the training at your location, making it convenient for care home and home care providers.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will receive a signed certificate, validating their expertise in the administration of medication for care home clients and home care clients.